Published 13 / 07 / 2022 Reading time: 7 min
Slow tourism is a new trend that encourages visitors to take the time to travel while respecting the planet. In order to (re)discover the Roannais in a way fun and ecological, with family or friends, here are some activities that we suggest you try out to stroll and relax this summer.
You will find below suggestions for walks and discoveries departing from Roanne. We favored public transport thanks to the STAR network and buses from the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region but also cycling and walking. Regarding the timetables indicated for the buses, we invite you to check them before your trips by consulting their sites.
Relaxing day at Villerest lake
Departure from the STAR stop in front of the Town Hall (10 min walk from the SNCF train station in Roanne).
Take the bus number 10, direction “Villerest Plage” at 10:45 a.m.
Arrival at 11:08 a.m. at the Villerest bourg or plage stop.
You can request on-demand transportation by contacting STAR directly. You will then be able to leave earlier at 7:45 or 8:45.
- Morning : Take advantage of your late morning for a stroll along the shores of Lake Villerest. Our advice: you can take part of the marked trail The Grézelon
- Lunch in a restaurant in Villerest – Find out more
- Afternoon : Optionally, embark at 15:00 p.m. for a 1-hour cruise aboard the The Villerest One boat in Villerest or take advantage of the afternoon to practice a nautical activity (pedal boats, canoe, fishing…) – Find out more
- End of the day : Before returning to Roanne, we advise you to take a walk in the town of Villerest.
NB: guided tours of the village of Villerest are organized on Saturday July 23, 2022 and Saturday August 6, 2022 – Find out more
- 18 p.m. : Departure from Villerest-bourg, return to Roanne, take bus 10 towards “Hôtel de ville/Louis Flandre” for an arrival at 19:15 p.m. in Roanne.
Strolling in Roanne
Why not stroll around Roanne for a day? 30 totems have been installed in the streets of Roanne to help you appreciate the city's heritage. A great opportunity to discover the city differently.
© Clovis Huet / RT The old center of Roanne and its castle © Guillaume Masseron / RT
Before starting your day, come and stock up on ideas for walks at the tourist office located in the Château de Roanne, opposite the Saint-Etienne church. Freshly renovated, our new reception area will show you the nuggets of the city and our territory. You will also find a shop with local products (wines from the Côte Roannaise, biscuits, jams, chocolates, tea/infusions, etc.)
- Morning : Take the time to discover Roanne following the 30 totems that will punctuate your walk. And if you have kids, you can get the game John of Roanne, on sale at the tourist office (game accessible from 7 years old, sale price €9)
NB: Guided tours are organized this summer on Friday July 22 at 9 a.m. (on foot), Friday August 5 at 9:30 a.m. (by bus), Friday August 19 at 20:30 p.m. (on foot) – learn more
- Lunch in a downtown restaurant from Roanne
- Afternoon : Inaugurated in 2021, the banks of the Loire are the ideal place for a digestive walk that will satisfy young and old. On more than 5 hectares, find spaces for leisure, sports and games for children.
- Evening : If you come on a Thursday, don't leave without having done the Thursdays live. These festive events enliven Roanne every summer and will make you happy.
On the way to Charlieu with the Véloire
Departure from the marina of Roanne, direction Charlieu by taking the Véloire.
For this day, the most seasoned can make the round trip by bike, the others can plan a go by bike and a return by bus. Thanks to the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region and its network of interurban transport of the Loire (TIL) you can easily plan your return by bus. Recently, lines 23 and 24 (Charlieu-Roanne) can transport your bike, so take advantage of it!
For those who are not equipped with a bike, our rental companies are at your disposal.
Break in front of the Benedictine abbey of Charlieu © Guillaume Masseron / RT Bike ride on the Véloire © Clovis Huet / RT
- Morning : Nothing like a bike ride to disconnect from everyday life... So we suggest you take the Veloire, a fully secure greenway that will allow you to connect Roanne to Charlieu in 20 km. From Roanne to Briennon you will follow the canal then from Briennon to Charlieu, you will cross bucolic landscapes.
- Lunch : Depending on your pedal stroke, plan to have lunch in a restaurant in Briennon or Charlieu.
- Afternoon : A visit to charlieu ? You are spoiled for choice… Benedictine abbey, silk museum, hospital museum, historic centre… The choice is yours!
- 18 p.m. : Depart from Place des Bénédictins in Charlieu, take the bus L23 direction Roanne for an arrival in Roanne at 18:46 p.m. If you have your own bike, remember to book your return bus – Information & reservations.
Fresh day in Saint-Germain-Laval
Departure from the bus station in Roanne, direction Saint-Germain-Laval.
Take the bus L22 Loire intercity transport at 7:45 a.m.
Arrival at 8:34 a.m. in Saint-Germain-Laval.
View of Saint-Germain-Laval Picnic on the banks of the Aix in Saint-Germain-Laval © Roannais Tourisme
- Morning : Standing above the Aix river, the village of Saint-Germain-Laval will surprise you with its heritage and preserved historic sites. Friends walkers, a beautiful hike is possible to go to the Commanderie de Verrières, you will find it on the topoguide of the Vals d'Aix and Isable : PR1 – 10km – 3h walk – easy level.
- Lunch : Picnic at the Notre-Dame de Baffy chapel, 10 minutes from the town centre.
- Afternoon : In this peaceful setting, take advantage of your afternoon to take a siesta in the shade of the trees or to dip your toes in the Aix river.
- 17 p.m. : Departure from the Route de Roanne stop in Saint-Germain-Laval, return to Roanne at 18:02 p.m.
Cultural getaway in Riorges
Departure from the STAR stop in front of the SNCF station.
Take the bus number 4, heading to “Le Scarabée” at 10:19 a.m.
Arrival at 10:27 a.m. at the Parc Beaulieu stop.
Poster of the exhibition Open Skies
- Morning : After walking for about ten minutes, discover theopen-air exhibition organized by the town of Riorges. This current art course is set up every two years. This year, for its 7th edition, nine new works have been specially created and installed along the Renaison, plain of Rivoire.
- Lunch : For those who would like to take advantage of Beaulieu Park, plan a picnic. On site you will find tables and play areas for children suitable for all ages.
- Afternoon : Take advantage of the afternoon to stretch your legs and walk on the marked trail of Roannais Agglomeration The Squirrels (2h / 8km)
- 17 p.m. : Departure from Parc Beaulieu, return to Roanne station, take bus 4 towards “Valmy” to arrive in Roanne at 17:30 p.m.